Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Communication to Excess

Well, this may be excessive, but I wrote my Representative, Roy Blunt, and my Senators, Kit Bond and Claire McCaskill 6 times this afternoon. The bailout is a horrible and destructive grab for power that is completely unprecedented. I cannot believe that ANYONE is OK with giving Mr. Paulson the ability to write checks to an unlimited number of entities to purchase an unlimited number of "bad assets".

  1. Why would the citizens of the United States want to purchase ANY bad assets?

  2. Why is anyone OK with the fact that the bill has provisions to prevent oversight of any type over these purchases?

  3. Who in their right mind thinks its OK to write a law that prevents everyone from bringing legal action against Mr. Paulson for any misdeeds that he may yet perform?

  4. Does anyone that supports this bill have any clue that it allows Mr. Paulson to purchase assets held by anyone in the WORLD?



This legislation is ABSURD, DANGEROUS, and HORRIBLE. I cannot believe that anyone has been duped into thinking this legislation is good. Oh wait! Most people don't have any idea what is detailed in this plan, and that's because they don't have anywhere they can go to actually READ it!

Since the Senate is forced to cheat the system by appending the Bailout to a bill already passed by the house without the bailout I wrote this:

Please introduce DownsizeDC.org's "One Subject at a Time Act" (OSTA). You can find the text of the legislation here: http://www.downsizedc.org/osta-legislation.shtml I'm writing to you today about the OSTA because the Senate is circumventing the checks and balances of the Constitution by inserting the bailout into another bill that has already been passed by the House WITHOUT the bailout present. This kind of shell game is unacceptable. I don't want the bailout under any terms, especially not by circumventing Constitutional checks and balances.


Since no-one in the public has access to this horribly important piece of legislation, I wrote this:

Congress needs to start reading the laws it passes. Please introduce DownsizeDC.org's "Read the Bills Act." I know you have the power to introduce this legislation on your own, without waiting for anyone else. I urge you to do so. This is a much-needed, common sense reform. I can see no justification for not introducing it. I'm telling my friends about it, and I look forward to hearing that you've introduced it. You can find the text of the legislation here: http://www.downsizedc.org/rtba_legislation.shtml I'm writing about the RTBA today because the bailout that failed in the House was voted upon against these theoretical rules. In particular I don't want anyone voting on anything that hasn't been made publicly available for 7 days. I don't want Congress voting on bills that they haven't read. I don't want your claims of emergency to justify attempts to circumvent these principles. Pass the RTBA tonight instead of the horrible bailout.


Since at least one member of Congress claimed they couldn't adjust the accounting rules that are contributing to this problem, I wrote this:

Please introduce DownsizeDC.org's "Write the Laws Act." You can find a summary and the full text of the bill here: http://www.downsizedc.org/wtla_legislation.shtml I'd rather you pass WTLA than the horrible bailout bill. I don't want you delegating more authority to unelected bureaucrats with the bailout bill, and I want you to revoke the power of the SEC, and the Department of the Treasury. Laws and regulations should only be written by Congress, and they should only pass excellently crafted laws. This means that you should be passing far far fewer and shorter laws. Don't pass the bailout. The American Public has spoken clearly about this.


Since there is absolutely no authority in the Constitution to grant the kinds of power that they are trying to grant with the bailout, I wrote this:

Please bring John Shadegg's 'Enumerated Powers Act' (HR 1359) to a vote as soon as possible, and please do all you can to support the passage of this bill. I'd rather you pass the Enumerated Powers Act instead of the Bailout. You can't cite the portion of the Constitution granting you the authority for the bailout bill because it doesn't exist. Congress does not have the authority to steal 700 Billion Dollars from the Citizens of the United States and spend it covering the collective failures of the global economic industry. If, after you've made this bill available online for 7 days, revoked any portion of the bill that allows bureaucrats the power as stated in the original bill, and cited clearly in the public version of this bill where the authority lies to do this, then I would be willing to review this bill and consider whether it was acceptable and beneficial to the United States of America.


Since Congress is so willing to spend our money, but still get their own fat paychecks, I wrote this:

Please co-sponsor H.R. 500, the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2007. Deficit spending is unacceptable. If you think the bankers need money, maybe you should pass the plate and get volunteer offerings of good will from the American people. The bailout is horribly backwards. HR 500 would be a great bit of good will towards the citizens of this country. Increase the budget of the Federal Government by forfeiting your pay. If things are so bad, and you're really doing all you can, I'm sure you'd be willing to put your money where your mouth is and contribute your salaries to the problem. Pass the Fiscal Responsibility Act instead of the disgusting immoral bailout.


Finally, as a capstone to show my complete disgust, I wrote this:

Please cut federal spending.

If you haven't gotten the point yet, I don't want the bailout passed. You are only showing your contempt for the people of this great nation by ignoring our outcry. You do so at your own peril. We will be organized against you in your next bid for re-election if you vote for this bailout.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris B. said...

Amen, amen and amen.

I called all those Jeff City folks and couldn't get through because the Senate switchboards were so busy.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home