Saturday, January 03, 2009

I hate Viruses

One of the things I have been working on during my vacation is a general overhaul of the computers that my in-laws use. There is one general use computer that I found to be so filled with viruses that I had quite a difficult time getting it cleaned up. I'll spare you the gory details and the mind numbing torture that it was during the process. In the end I used the following tools to make the beast clean again:



I used all of the tools to help me remove all of the nasty viruses, but the key that helped me finish the job was the Malwarebytes'. I was almost ready to call it done because I had gotten all of the viruses that Avast would detect (even on a boot time scan). However, I still couldn't start up the Automatic Updates service in Windows XP. The service would immediately become disabled after enabling it. I learned that this is typical behavior of the Vundo family of viruses, and I was very surprised that Avast could not clean it. After malwarebytes took care of that virus, I was able to get the Automatic Updates to go through cleanly and am currently typing this post from that computer which is running smoothly and cleanly.

Most of what it takes to conquer these types of problems is patience and persistence. Know that if something looks weird, it probably is weird, and you should keep looking so that viruses aren't lurking out in the shadows waiting to collect and install more viruses, or share critical data with spammers and thieves.

Good luck if you run across these problems. You'll need it.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

We Mac people don't get those virus things.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jeremy D. Young said...

Nor do Linux users, or even responsible Windows users.. This was my in-laws' computer :D

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home