Thursday, March 26, 2009

Computing Goodness

Well, this is my first blog post from my new computer. It's not anything particularly impressive, except when contrasting it with the old one.

CPU
Intel E5200 (2.5 GHz dual core)
vs
AMD Duron 1.3 GHz

Motherboard
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
vs
MSI K7Turbo

Video Card
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 9500GT (PCI Express 2.0)
vs
PNY Nvidia Geforce 7800 (AGP)

Case
Antec Nine Hundred
vs
Unspeakable Cute thing my wife picked out

Power Supply
Antec EA650
vs
Antec True380S

Hard Drive
Western Digital SATA 750 GB
vs
Western Digital IDE 40 GB
Western Digital IDE 20 GB

RAM
2x1GB G.Skill PC-6400
vs
1.25GB various PC-133

Optical
SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
vs
IDE 6x CD-RW
IDE 2x DVD

Misc
Rosewill 52 in 1 Card Reader
vs
1.44 MB Floppy

Speakers
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound
vs
Altec Lansing 2.1

Monitor
Acer X223W (22" Widescreen LCD)
vs
Sony 19" CRT
Viewsonic 19" CRT

Router
Linksys WRT54GL
vs
Pentium 120 with no working fans running floppy based Coyote Linux

Operating System
OpenSuSE 11.1
vs
Windows 2000 Pro

I'm extremely pleased with the new setup. I can actually sit at my desk and use the computer. Before the two 19" CRTs completely covered the surface of my desk. The LCD is bright and large, and with the 5.1 speakers, watching movies is much more enjoyable than it was.

I don't have any TV's to speak of in my house (A little 13" junker that the kids get to watch movies on), so this is the biggest display here. One of the 19" beasts got hooked up to my wife's MacBook Pro 15" to give her much more screen real estate. It helps in flash quite dramatically. The old system is going to be kept around until I'm sure I have everything set up properly here. Then I'm going to clean it up and upgrade the kids entertainment center by putting the other 19" CRT there and ripping some of the more valuable DVD's that they like to watch. That way there's no risk for those movies to get scratched or their boxes to get destroyed. All the Pixar movies come to mind first.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Your last computer still had a floppy drive? Mac got rid of those over a decade ago. Why are the PC people still using that crap? I don't get it.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Jeremy D. Young said...

My old computer is almost a decade old. At least parts of it are. :) Some hardware doesn't need to be replaced.

You can't build your own Mac, but a Mac is just a hardware limited PC (meaning Apple tells you which PC hardware you can put in it) now.

Mac OS X (being based on the BSD operating system) is far superior to Windows, and so is Linux. BSD and Linux are cousins, as both are Open Source Operating Systems. Linux can run on almost ANYTHING.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home